Sunday, August 29, 2010

It's the end where I begin

We have finally arrived at one of those place that dub themselves "the end of the world". And as of about a month ago, I would have believed them. However, after my fathers trip to Ellismere island, I have to concede that the end of the world is much, much, much gutter north than Inuvik in the north west territories. That being said we are pretty freaking far north!!! Currently we are roughly touching base with our form of civiliArion and stealing Internet from the Inuvik international airport, while we ponder whether it is worth 800$ to fly to Tuktoyuktok, a village located right on the arctic ocean itself.
While we ponder, I will update you on the last few days.
We left Whitehorse and headed north. And stuck on that direction for about 1200 or so kilometers.
The Dempster highway began about 500 or so km past Whitehorse. A "highway" is picking the term for a rugged dirt ad gravel road that stretches for 730km through the Canadian north. But Kumu took the challenge like she owned it and made us prouder than ever as we passed two moose at two moose lake and prancing caribou through the tundra and drove like a charm onto the two sketchy ferries over the mighty Peel and Mackenzie rivers. The variety of landscapes was truly a sight to behold, one now that I believe no Canadian should miss out on.
So as we stared in wonder at our so very Canadian landscapes, we did what any patrols canadiens would do and entertained ourselves with the droning, somewhat overdramatic, but enjoyable none the less stories of Stuart McLean and the vinyl cafe podcasts from the CBC. I think the one strange ad quiet German hitchhiker we picked up thought us very strange listening to talk radio, but he barely even said thank you for the 400km we drove him, so I won't worry myself with what he thought.
We also had a slight mishap with the computer and unfortunately this blog will yet again be without pictures. Which is a shame because I have some real doozies!
Now I shall go ponder some more on how much I am willing to pay to fly to stand in freezing cold water....
I also apologize for poor writing as I am on my iTouch and it's a bit finicky!!

1 comment:

  1. Don't apologize for a thing... you're doing great! Miss you already but so proud :) Hey can you do a progress thing on a map like you did for Clive? Big hug!

    ReplyDelete