Saturday, December 25, 2010

Feliz Navidad

irst off, Feliz Navidad to everyone out there. I hope that you all have a great day surrounded by loved ones and family. That’s what its all about right?
The last time I had a sunny, hot Christmas I was 5. Before that I was 3. Needless to say, this Christmas was a strange one. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but vendors selling likenesses of Santas, Reindeer and snowmen, was not it.
For a country where the majority of  its people have never even seen snow, let alone enough snow to make a snowman, it seems pretty out of place.
I also cant help but wonder what the words are to the Christmas carrols being played around the country. They are the  same tunes as ours only Spanish lyrics. Are they really singing about Juan the Snowman? Or Pedro the Red Nosed Reindeer? But then again, maybe we stole our carols from a country like Scandanavia and its actually Olav the Snowman. Something to google I suppose. I guess I was hoping that the people in this country would have put their own spin on the holiday that is Christmas.
But enough about that. We spent Christmas eve and Christmas morning in the extremely hippy town of Zipolite on the Oaxaca coast, just an hour south of Puerto Escondido. In a town where hemp is the fabric of choice, dreadlocks are almost a must (im working on mine) and nudity is embraced by many it was hard to get into the Christmas spirit.
Our big Christmas eve dinner was spent at an incredibly romantic restaurant on the beach eating pizza and beer by candlelight. As much as we miss our own family traditions at home, this Christmas eve was pretty perfect.
We walked back to the campground in the dark along the beach searching for phosphorescence and as we commented on the chilly night we spotted a fire convientienly located about half way back to the van.
We joined the fire with a couple of locals, and commented on how nice the heat was in the cold night. (the cold night being about 15 degrees)

Muy frio!! (very cold) I said.

Si!, Hace invierno. Was the reply. Yes, Its Winter. As though that fact should be painfully obvious. He also told us that there would be a band playing on the beach... starting at TWO am. I think I am getting old because the thought of staying up that late made me cringe

Christmas morning started with a traditional Rubens walk, although this was down the beach rather than through the snow. We cooked up a delicious egg burrito complete with orange juice and coffee and followed up with a quick dip in the ocean before opening the goodie bag of presents my mom kindly left with us before heading back to Canmore.
It has definitely been a strange Christmas, but one that I will remember for years to  come. We are now leaving the coast to head up to Oaxaca City, and get a little bit cultured. I think the surfing will be put on hold now until El Salvador.


Christmas Eve Dinner
 

Mmmm Pizza n Beer n Candlelight

Beach Bums in Zipolite

Opening presents from my mama!

Perfect. Men n Chocolate

Thank You!!

Checking out the view over the Sierra Madre

2 comments:

  1. Shonina, you look beautiful! And Andrew... I'm so sad I missed the call from you two. Loved the message. Merry Merry Christmas! I think of you and your adventures and brag to people that I know such amazing adventurers.
    Big Canadian hug to both of you :)
    ps. Harrison, Dad and I watched red,white and brown tonight. We were crying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, loved the candle light pizza. Missed you in Revelstoke. We ski toured - advanced Christmas walk, opened gifts with Emma, looked a cute delapitated cottage for Chris, ate delicious food, with emma's great stuffing, and Chris's instructions, played Balderdash and Table topics. Marty Schaffer popped in for a drink but had to leave as he was heli sking the next day. We drove back yesterday and now we are praying for snow in the ice desert called Canmore. Barb Hertel's son was in Puerto Escondido. I spoke to her in Yoga.

    ReplyDelete