Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year, New Country, New Language

The last week has been a bit of a trip and we have been pretty busy so it has been a struggle to find time to upload pictures and to write!
We drove into Guatemala on New years eve morning. That was excitement in itself. We only learned that day that it was market day at the border and most people are warned not to cross because it is so crazy... crazy may be an understatement, but we managed to get through all the paperwork in just under an hour so i guess it wasnt too bad.

We spent New Years on the shores of Lake Atitlan, surrounded by towering volcanoes and watching fireworks go off all around the perimeter of the lake at midnight. we danced in the new year to a wicked reggae band and discussed all the highs and lows of 2010. We aknowledged the fact that 2010 was a HUGE year for both of us, and are truly looking forward to all that 2011 has to offer.
We made a quick pitstop in Antigua where we ran into our friends Kahung, Mel and Dante, made some plans to see them again this weekend and drove to the coast where we are spending a week in school. Spanish school. We are on day three of 5 and I think my brain is close to bursting. However the 4 hours a day are very intense and I think I is really going to help us in the future. Andrew has a pretty good grasp of languages, so he is picking it up a bit faster than I am, but I have to say that I am impressing myself for the most part, even though I have the most strict teacher! While Andrew and Jorge are laughing and discussing babes losing bikinis on the beach, Rosa is correcting my every mistake and loading me up with pages of homework every night!!! All i can hope is that it pays off! Montericco (the town we are staying in) us very hot and very chill. They are really proud of thier rare four eyed fish that live in the canal behind the town. Also of thier jesus lizards who can run on water.
Checking my email today was a huge mix of feelings as I discovered that our good friends Ally and Andrew are getting married!! (CONGRATS) And also was informed of Kelly McBrooms terrible crash. Our hearts go out to Kelly, we wish her the best of best of luck and we hope that all the surgeries go well and we can see or talk to her soon!
Sorry for the lack of photos but hopefully the next post will have more.
I hope everyone rang in the new year with a few adult beverages and lots of laughter!
Hasta Luego

1 comment:

  1. You guys are fantastic. Most impressive. Keep it up. Love Wilma

    ReplyDelete