Monday, April 4, 2011

Apparently we took a wrong turn......

After saying goodbye to ze Germans Daniel and Ramona, we continued on
our journey south and stopped in a town called San Agustin, which is
known for the ancient statues guarding the entrance to the tombs they
protect. Again, the people here were very friendly and helpful. They even told us there was a much faster route to Pasto through a town called Macoa, rather than going first to Popoyan. Unfortunatley, what I didn't realize until today, just now, when updating the map, is that there are 2 roads from Macoa to San Fransisco...... one looks great on the map and the other, well the other is the one we took. It was 80 km long and climbed 3 vertical kms in 22kms at one point. Oh, did I mention it was a one lane gravel road? So yes, it was very slow going, in fact I calculated our average speed on this road to be 12 km/h. Don't get me wrong it was one of the most beautiful drives I have ever been on but it was  very, very scary- at times looking over the edge you could see straight down over 500 meters!!!!!

Before Ramona worked her magic...



Thanks Ramona for the great haircuts



A few of the great statues





Maybe we could guard tombs too?!?!



I guess we should have taken the number 10......

This is not the number 10....


Neither is this....


I have to say after all that, it was a very cool trip with views North Americans have rarely ever seen.



3 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Go KUMU!!!! Epic as per usual and nice haircuts you two! Looking great

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is WILD and WONDERFUL
    So I don’t suppose you are in a hurry anyway. That road looked incredible. Amazing the audacity of people to even build such a road. This time I am typing my comment on word first then copying into your blog!! That way I hope I don’t lose it.
    And the statues and the haircuts – What a great trip.
    Make sure your write down your feeling, what you are seeing, hearing, smelling, touching, tasting, and all your intuitions. Do you dream more after visiting places like that? What did you think and feel when you got on the wrong road or a I don’t suppose you knew that at the time.
    What kind of maps do you have?
    How is your Spanish going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off to the Road of Death for you guys in Bolivia! I can't wait to see that post...

    Love the haircuts!

    K

    ReplyDelete