Thursday, June 10, 2010

Like Father, Like Daughter

Many people have informed us, when we describe the trip to them, either that we are crazy or we are so lucky to be living our dreams. This always seems a bit funny to me, because living with the family that I do, living your dreams is an everyday occurrence. Growing up in a family like the Rubens has truly been one epic adventure after another, simply because we believe these things are not only possible but probable as well as doable. Although both my parents were insistent on good marks in school, they didn't seem to think twice about sending us away to pursue our passion of skiing, or taking us to explore the jungles of Ecuador, surf the Costa Rican Beaches, and, of course, hike the moors of Scotland
This season, while I was in Europe hurtling down mountains at 120km/hr, and my brother was in Morocco searching for any signs of snow to huck his body down, my father (between back country touring trips of course) was busy planning his next big adventure.
Finally, that adventure is about to begin. Over a year in planning, he heads off tomorrow to a place called Resolute Bay. For the majority of you who have never heard of this place, it is at the southern tip of Cornwallis Island... what? Never heard of that either? Well you know all those islands in the north of Canada that make our country so big? Yep, its up there somewhere.  

Well there it is, pretty much on the 75th parallel North. Why would he go there? Isn't that a little bit far north for a reasonable person to want to go? Well that's not actually where he is going, that's just the organizing hub, so him and his partner, explorer extraordinaire, John Dunn can unite and make sure everything is ready before they head... that's right... further north. To Ellesmere Island, just past Eureka to be exact. Ellesmere Island is the worlds 10th largest island as well as the most mountainous in the Arctic Archipelago.
Their plan is to walk a thousand kilometers almost from top to bottom in two months. Why, you ask? I ask that as well. Compared to this trip mine seems almost luxurious.
Here is a brief overview of the route they will take:
Well, from what I have gathered from very vague explanations from my father... is basically they are going up there to walk around and 'check shit out'. I feel that sounds like the best manly explanation anyway. But in all seriousness, John is a very experienced Arctic explorer and comes home after his trips and does lecture tours informing whoever wants to listen about Arctic life and, i suppose, lack of life. Click Here to check out some of his prior adventures and incredible photography.

A picture from John's trip to Baffin Island courtesy of http://www.arcticlight.com/

All in all I feel like this explains my ever growing wanderlust, and I blame my parents for feeling like home is the place from which you plan your next adventure.
Best of luck, Dad, with your new adventure. I am proud and excited for you, and I will wait earnestly to hear your epic stories, and most of all I will wait earnestly to hear that you have defeated all the polar bears with your tiny pen launcher.
Check back for updates of his locations!

My dad (Clive) back in the day hiking/backpacking in the peaks around Kashmir

Oh yeah, my mom is pretty great too. She just recently published her first book of poetry for sale at Cafe Books in Canmore, or Pages in Kensington.

Book
        
Mom, (Wilma) Hanging out on the Land Rover, somewhere in Afghanistan!

1 comment:

  1. Hey you have a real knack for writing a good blog and I look forward to reading lots more. How's about a few photos from the river and opal ridge.

    ReplyDelete