Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Runnin' Down A Dream

Tom Petty needs no real introduction, but last night Joe Cocker was a pretty sweet intro artist. Andrew bought me Tom Petty & Joe Cocker tickets for my retirement present, and finally last night was the night. We saw Tom for the first time two years ago when we had just started dating. It was at a huge festival in Pemberton, BC and he blasted our minds. It seems only fitting for him to mark the beginning of the next chapter in our lives.
The Calgary crowd was loving it. Right from the start when Joe Cocker opened with "Feelin' Alright" they were one of the loudest crowds I have heard at the 'Dome. He also played "Come Together" which he sang in his cameo in one of my favorite movies "Across The Universe". Nevertheless for sixty six years old Joe Cocker was obviously loving touring with Tom and not having to play a full headlining concert himself.
For some reason I have always really connected with Tom Petty's songs. He seems to sing about things that everybody relates to. You could tell that when the crowd almost drowned him out in their rendition of "Free Fallin'". I mean seriously, who doesn't know the lyrics to that song?
However at the stage I am in my life at the moment, a few simple lyrics really stuck out in my mind last night. Here are just a couple:

"So I've started out, for God knows where
I guess I'll know when I get there"
-Learning To Fly

Yeah runnin down a dream
That never would come to me
Workin on a mystery, goin wherever it leads
I'm runnin down a dream
-Running Down A Dream

But my all time favorite lyric is this one:

"It's time to move on, time to get going
What lies ahead, I have no way of knowing
But under my feet, baby grass is growing
It's time to move on, it's time to get going"
-It's Time To Move On




Thanks TP for putting on yet another mind blasting performance, I am stoked for the new album which came out yesterday! And thank you Andrew for the tickets, you really know the way to my heart! (Lucky for you it's music and not something crazy like gold, or diamonds!)

2 comments:

  1. awesome! I have seen Tom Petty probably 6 to 8 times and can totally relate!!! sure wish I could have been at Pemby fest to see him in my own backyard....bet he will be providing just a little bit of the soundtrack to your current life's adventure.....

    ReplyDelete